Love Without Borders: A Practical Guide to Form I-129F and Fiancé(e) Visas

What is a fiancé(e) visa?

A fiancé(e) visa, also known as a K-1 visa in the United States, is a type of nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national who is engaged to a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. The primary intention of the visa is to allow the couple to be together in the U.S. and have a legal wedding within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s arrival. After the marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can then apply for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident (green card holder) in the U.S.

The process typically involves several steps:

  • Filing the Petition (Form I-129F): The U.S. citizen must file a petition on behalf of their foreign fiancé(e) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the intent to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s entry into the U.S.
  • Approval and Visa Application: Once the Form I-129F is approved, the foreign fiancé(e) can apply for the K-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. This involves submitting additional documentation and attending an interview.
  • Background Checks and Medical Examination: The foreign fiancé(e) must undergo background checks and a medical examination to ensure they are admissible to the U.S.
  • Entry and Marriage: Upon receiving the K-1 visa, the foreign fiancé(e) can enter the U.S. The couple must then marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s entry.
  • Adjustment of Status: After the marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) in the U.S.

It’s important to note that the fiancé(e) visa is intended for couples who have a genuine intention to marry and establish a life together in the United States. The process can vary in terms of requirements and procedures in different countries, so it’s advisable to consult the U.S. Department of State or an immigration attorney for accurate and up-to-date information.

How to fill out Form I-129F?

Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), is a complex immigration form that requires careful attention to detail. Here is a general overview of how to fill out the form. Keep in mind that the process and requirements can change, so it’s recommended to refer to the official USCIS website or consult with an immigration attorney for the most up-to-date and accurate guidance.

  • Download the Form: Obtain the most recent version of Form I-129F from the USCIS website.
  • Gather Documentation: Before you start filling out the form, gather all the necessary documentation, including evidence of your relationship, financial support, and other required supporting documents.
  • Part 1 – Information About You (Petitioner):
  • Provide your personal information, including name, address, and contact details.
  • Indicate your citizenship status and date of birth.
  • Answer questions about your previous marriages and immigration history.
  • Part 2 – Information About Beneficiary (Fiancé(e)):
  • Provide your fiancé(e)’s personal information, including name, date of birth, and contact details.
  • Indicate your fiancé(e)’s nationality and place of birth.
  • Answer questions about your fiancé(e)’s previous marriages and immigration history.
  • Part 3 – Additional Information About Beneficiary:
  • Provide additional details about your fiancé(e)’s background, including employment, education, and criminal history.
  • Part 4 – Information About Your Meeting:
  • Describe how you and your fiancé(e) met in person within the past two years.
  • Provide details about the dates, locations, and circumstances of your meetings.
  • Part 5 – Information About Your Intent to Marry:
  • Explain your intention to marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days of their entry into the U.S.
  • Provide information about any previous marriages and divorces for both you and your fiancé(e).
  • Part 6 – Additional Information About Your Relationship:
  • Provide further details about your relationship, including how you maintain contact, your future plans together, and any cultural or religious practices you share.
  • Part 7 – Signature of Petitioner:
  • Sign and date the form.
  • Part 8 – Signature of Interpreter, if applicable:
  • If someone helped you complete the form, they should sign and date this section.
  • Checklist:
  • Review the checklist to ensure you’ve included all required supporting documents.
  • Filing Fee and Submission:
  • Include the appropriate filing fee with your form.
  • Mail the completed Form I-129F and supporting documents to the address specified in the form instructions.

Remember that the process and requirements can be complex, and any errors or omissions in the form could lead to delays or denial. It’s recommended to carefully review the instructions provided with the form and seek assistance from an immigration attorney if needed. USCIS may also update the form and instructions, so make sure to use the latest version available on their official website.

Form I-129F checklist of required documents

While I cannot provide an exhaustive list of required documents for Form I-129F since document requirements may change over time, I can give you a general idea of the types of documents that are commonly required to support your petition. Always refer to the most up-to-date instructions on the official USCIS website or consult with an immigration attorney to ensure you have the correct and current information. Here’s a typical checklist of documents you might need:

  • Form I-129F:
  • The completed and signed petition form.
  • Filing Fee:
  • Check or money order for the appropriate filing fee, payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”
  • Passport Photos:
  • Passport-style photos of the petitioner and the fiancé(e) that meet USCIS specifications.
  • Proof of Citizenship and Identity:
  • Copies of the petitioner’s U.S. passport, birth certificate, or naturalization certificate.
  • Proof of Relationship:
  • Documents that show the genuineness of your relationship, such as photos together, travel itineraries, communication records, etc.
  • Form G-325A (Biographic Information):
  • This form provides biographical information about the petitioner and the fiancé(e).
  • Proof of Meeting in Person:
  • Documents that prove you have met your fiancé(e) in person at least once within the last two years, such as flight itineraries, hotel receipts, photos, etc.
  • Proof of Intention to Marry:
  • Documents that show your intention to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival in the U.S., such as wedding plans, venue reservations, etc.
  • Evidence of Financial Support:
  • Documentation to demonstrate that you (the petitioner) can financially support your fiancé(e) once they’re in the U.S., such as tax returns, pay stubs, employment verification, etc.
  • Criminal Background Checks:
  • Police certificates or clearances from the relevant authorities in countries where the petitioner and fiancé(e) have lived for six months or longer.
  • Medical Examination Results:
  • A medical examination report completed by an approved physician.
  • Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance):
  • Optional form for receiving email and text notifications about your application’s status.
  • Proof of Termination of Previous Marriages:
  • If either the petitioner or the fiancé(e) was previously married, documents showing the termination of those marriages (divorce decrees, death certificates, etc.).
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-134):
  • Although not required for the initial I-129F petition, you might consider including this form to provide additional evidence of financial support.

It’s important to follow the instructions provided in the official USCIS form instructions carefully and to include all required documents and evidence. Remember that USCIS requirements can change, so always check for the most current information before submitting your application. If you’re uncertain about any aspect of the process, consider seeking advice from an immigration attorney or professional.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button